Monday, September 15, 2008

My Weekend in Morovia


This past weekend, we took a trip to Moravia, which is a small historic region in central Europe, east in the Czech Republic. Friday we left early in the morning. It just so happened to be my birthday, so the whole bus sang to me. It was a lot of fun. We got there around 4 in the evening. Charter buses are comfortable, but nothing compared to a bed. Meredith and I headed straight for our hotel room and grabbed a nap. Before we knew it, it was 5:30. The charter bus took us into the heart of Brno, which was the city nearest us for some dinner. We walked around for a while and finally settled on this restaurant that looked nice. One thing I have learned is how different the service is over here. When I ask a waiter for something they act in a way as if they are going out of their way for you. Another difference is that this culture views meals as more than just eating, but as a time of fellowship with one another, therefore meals are expected to be a lengthy process. We were seated for about an hour and a half before we received our food. It has been an adjustment, but now we all enjoy the time. That night, being that I was officially 21, everyone wanted me to get drunk. Drinking is not really my thing, but in celebration I had one drink, and tasted a few others. Overall it was a good birthday, however I really missed my family, friends, and of course the love of my life Joe! Saturday we woke up early with lots of things to do. We toured the city of Brno with a tour guide, went to a cathedral, and toured a monastery. The best part of the day was that our program AIFS, rented out a restaurant in a wine cellar. It was so beautiful. They served wine with dinner, and had a wine tasting with grapes and cheese. It felt so classy. Sunday, we had a early check-out and headed for the road. We stopped off at a cave, which was discovered in the early 1900s. We walked through the caves and were able to take photos, and visually explore the sites. I thought it was so pretty. Then we boarded a boat and went for a boat ride through the cave, which  of course was a blast. Unfortunetly, I, not lots of people, were not dressed for the very cold weather, but we still had so much fun. The bus ride home was a mixture of catnaps and good conversations. Though I have only been here for two weeks, the apartment felt so nice to come back to. This weekend was a lot of fun! However, the intensive Czech language course began this morning, so vacation is over and now I must study hard because this language is no walk in the park. 

1 comment:

Ashley Capps said...

Hey Babe! It has been such a blast to read all of your posts! I'm so blessed that you're still having a great time! I can definitly feel for you when you were talking about feeling a bit sad on your 21st. Because I myself was away from the love of my life, as well as my family. I was helping out as a leader at a church camp full of highschoolers!! Not the best way to bring in the big 2-1. But it could have always been worse! I love you! And you and Joe are in my prayers hourly!