Monday, December 8, 2008

Old Friend, New Memories


This past weekend my friend Robin came to visit. He was our German exchange student my senior year of high school. It was so great to have him come visit. In Germany, it is mandatory to do nine months of either military duty, or community service. He was healthy enough for the military, os he is currently serving his time. He has every weekend off so he took advantage of his free-time, hopped on a train, and came to Prague. He came in Friday evening at around 7:30. The train station was quite a bit bigger then expected to it took a while to track him down, but when I finally found him, I was elated! It was so great to see a familiar face in Prague. We went to this American restaurant with a group of my friends immediately after leaving the train station. The food was great. I had vegetarian chili, and everyone else had American style burgers and fries. It was really fun, because there was this big black guy who was singing blues music. He would sing for a while, chug some beer, and return to singing. It was quite entertaining. We came back so Robin could drop off his heavy bag, and headed out to "Futerum." It is a dance hangout in downtown Prague. We had a lot of fun because it was 
American 80's and 90's music. We headed back to the dorm and quickly fell asleep. The next morning, we slept in a little. When in the barracks, Robin has to be up by 4:45, so it was a luxury for him to sleep until 11. We got ready for the day, and were out the door by noon. I got to play tourist guide and show Robin all over Prague. We walked all over the city. We stopped for lunch at a bagel place, which Robin was so excited about because bagels are nearly impossible to get in Germany. After lunch, we walked across Charles Bridge, which is always filled with tourists. We entered Old Town, where Christmas spirit is in full swing. We walked through the Christmas markets and admired all the pretty Christmas decorations. We then made our way across to to Saint Wencelos Square where Robin took some pictures and shopped around a little. The day quickly passed by as we walked all over stopping to admire the beauty of Prague. At about 4:30, we headed back to the dorm to rest our tired legs. Before Robin and I made plans for him to come visit, I had signed up through my program to see the Ballet of Romeo and Juliet. It worked out that one of my friends who had also signed up could not go and gave me his ticket so Robin got to come as well. It worked out so well. I made some dinner, and then we changed into nicer clothes and headed out the door again. The theatre was gorgeous. Every aspect of it was stunning. The ballet lasted a little over two hours. It was incredible. I absolutely loved it! After the ballet, Robin and I posed for some quick pictures and then a group of six of us went to Cafe Louvre for some dessert. I had warm apple strudel with vanilla ice cream, and Robin had blueberry cake. It was so yummy. We headed back to the dorm quite tired, threw on our PJs, and watched the TV show "The Office." It was so relaxing that before I knew it I was fast asleep. The next morning, I woke up and got ready for the day. I feel bad that Robin usually has to wake up so early so I hopped on the internet and let him sleep for a while. After a little while I began the task to attempting to wake him up. After many failed tries, he finally rose to greet the day. After he was ready, we headed for Prague Castle. We stopped along the way and had some lunch. We went to a little Czech cafe that was pretty good. I had Smazeny Syr (Fried Cheese) and Robin had Weinersnitzel. With out stomachs full, we hiked up the hill to the castle. The castle is completely out-shined by the beautiful St. Vitus' Cathedral that stands tall behind it. Robin really liked the cathedral. After taking some photos, we realized it was later then we thought and headed back to the dorm so He could grab his bag and head for the train station. It was quite the journey across town to the station, but after arriving we grabbed some coffee and said our good-byes just in time for him to catch his train back to Germany to be in the barracks by ten. I was sad to see him leave. He is such a great guy, and really fun to be with. Everyone here adored him as well. It was fun to have an excuse to redo all of the tourist things in Prague since I leave next week. The weekend was great since I got see an old friend, and create new memories. Thanks for coming Robin! 

1 comment:

Robin said...

Thanks so much for everything again. It was the best weekend i had in a long time and a teaser to come back to the states to get some more bagels, american dinner and live american music.